No Threads to Display.

facebook

Thread: Pulling Eggs
View Single Post
Old 12-06-2019, 03:33 PM

Default Re: Pulling Eggs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socratic Monologue View Post
Mark, do you have anything more to add on this part of the question? I feel as if this is a more challenging part of the process for novices to taking care of children that should be someone else's responsibility (man, are egg-feeding frogs ever easy...).

I still struggle with the hatching point of development on my leucs -- some tads seem not to escape the egg on their own, and my bull-in-a-china-shop handling of tads needs some work.
Ah, right. Sorry, missed that. I have to caveat first, that it has been a while since I have had any Dendrobates (the genus) breeding, so take what I say with a grain of salt. If you follow what I was saying and keep the water level at the base of the eggs (leaving the tops of the eggs clear to breathe), the tads should have no trouble wiggling into the deeper water. You need to keep an eye on them, though, and pull them out and into separate containers when you see that they have hatched. They aren't going to cannibalize each other right away, but no reason to take chances. I have never had a tad of any species strand itself in any dry areas. However, my eggs are almost always laid on butter lids (under coco huts) or in film canisters, so the surface is flat. I can control the water level to the point where there is no dry land. A piece of leaf probably won't cooperate in terms of allowing you to get the water level such that it covers all dry areas without covering the eggs. I think you will still be ok, though. I think the tads sense gravity and will go down toward the water. Keep an eye on them, though, I could be wrong.

Mark