Go Back   Dendroboard
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

View Single Post
Old 12-06-2019, 03:46 AM

I really like your build!

From what I understand, Acrid is ok, forest smell is ok, even fish tank-y smell is ok (but on the edge). it’s if it starts getting funky that you have to worry.

Folks might have added that you’ll also want to practice culturing food bugs before you get frogs, so that’s a good thing to do while you’re waiting for plants to grow in.

The bromeliads bloom once but most types then put out pups or grow another version of themselves right next to the original so don’t worry about that.

For me, misting depends on my ambient humidity - winter vs summer, rainy ha sunny day.

I have mine on for 4 s twice daily, 12 h apart. My digital hygrometer and temp meter is located at the top of the tank (sensors don’t like to get wet so they have to be out of misting range) and it’s regularly about 20% more humid at the bottom of my tank than at the top. I’ve got computer fans on top on low or medium speed.

The tanks have been established about 2 months so about the same amount of time as yours. I got frogs yesterday (couldn’t wait any more! I had promised that I was gonna wait til spring like you but then ...) and they’re loving it. It turns out that once I dusted fruit flies and dumped them into the tank the excess calcium powder is kind of stinky so I’m gonna have to find away to lessen the amount of powder that gets into the tank. Just FYI.

Hows yours going?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBM3000 View Post
One month-in (time flies)...

Just added some Dust Moss Mix. I'm mildly concerned it's too wet in there (MistKing 10 secs twice daily). It's also developed a moderately acrid/bitter smell but I'm assuming that's the biological processes kicking in?