Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

View Single Post
Old 12-03-2019, 08:04 AM

Default Re: The Woods Vivarium

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drthsideous View Post
As someone who has helped with captive breeding projects for amphibians for release, this seems sketchy at best. I'm only speaking to your plans to release your offspring. Do you have the proper permits to both "rescue" and release animals? The fish and boat commission does not seem like the relevant governing body. It would be your states environmental agency, or US Fish and Wildlife. What is your biocontainment like to ensure the animals you are releasing are not introducing anything to the wild population? Are your breeders in a sterile room? Not only does what you are saying sound less than legal, it sounds like you should not be doing it.
I have the permit from the state to own the toads. So legally I do own them. The agreement is that the toads have to be treated by a vet to remove the parasites in order to move to the next step. I have contacted the people that I have needed to and I will talk to anyone else about this. I have fought for this right and earned the right to own these toads and to release their offspring in the place they were rescued.

As long as I abide to what was asked of me and I maintain the permits I am given the right to release healthy offspring back into the wild.

I am not doing a mass captive breeding project just 2 pairs of toads that I have been working very hard to get dewormed. You only need a fishing license to own a toad in my state and if you have multiple people with a permit you can have that number of toads. I actually would be safe if I chose this route but I applied for the permit to own my toads. I am just stating there are many ways to own as you said "rescued toads"

The question you brought up as to my toads having a parasite that could harm the wild population is valid unless I were not getting the toads thoroughly tested. I am only going to pursue step two (introduction of tadpoles) if the toads are parasite free. For the moment in time we are speaking on them they have only tested for native parasites.

I appreciate the concern about the breeding project but this is something that has been very controversial for years now and I have complied with the state in every angle of the process, and I have taken even more drastic measures to make sure my toads are healthy and they produce healthy offspring back into the area they are from. I also would appreciate being given the opportunity to explain something if you are unsure as opposed to being accused of doing something illegal.

Last edited by AAronCap; 12-03-2019 at 08:26 AM.