Go Back   Dendroboard
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

View Single Post
Old 12-03-2019, 07:11 AM

Default Re: Feeding Crickets without losing them

Yes that would work, you dont have to add water though and you can just smear it on the interior of the coconut usually theyre toothy enough.

Fish food flakes in a doughy ball, smashed inside. Zupreem biscuits wet or dry worked well with the chinese house crickets when they were the dominant species, which have been mostly replaced by the Banded Crickets by suppliers, which really seem stronger drawn to animal, not soy protein.

I had to use something fast and disposable so I frequently used paper towel or toilet tissue cardboard roll, kind of flattened to keep it from being occupied by hunting frogs. But many things will work you just want it to be either disposable or washable.

When I had the frogs downstairs all the tanks were butted against the warm wall of a heated cabinet. Thats where I put the traps.

For a home viv the small 4X5 heat mats by various brands will add to the traps power. You can get the Fluker type which is non-adherant, for temprary placement or just get a zoo med one and turn it portable by sticking it on a piece of glass or small square of white shelving. Small, just big enough for the pad so that it doesnt dictate placement. (on outside, of course. I like the wall)

I could really see your guys rambling around the opening and trying to get at the crickets so make sure they cant get in, or stuck.

The localized temp of the trap should be around 10 degrees warmer than the ambient for the best results.