Dendroboard - View Single Post - How long does everyone Melanogaster cultures last?
Dendroboard

Go Back   Dendroboard
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

View Single Post
Old 11-26-2019, 04:41 PM

Default Re: How long does everyone Melanogaster cultures last?

Your problem is mites. I had the same issue. The solution includes multiple steps.

-make sure all deli cups, lids, excelsior or whatever your using are sterile. I microwave the deli cup and lid for 45seconds before adding the media(don't microwave the media)

-create a barrier for mites with mite paper or diatomaceous earth. I keep every week's cultures(2) in its own shoe box with a thin sprinkling of DE in between. Make sure the cultures aren't physically touching either to prevent mites spreading.

-start cultures with clean cultures. If a culture has mites, any seeded culture will have mites. Some have had success dusting flies w vitamin powder to remove the mites before seeding, but that didn't work for me. Best bet is to get clean new cultures.

-throw away cultures after 30 days! Even if they're producing, just do it. Old cultures are ground zero for mite infestations. I freeze all my old cultures just to make sure everything is dead.

Hope you get it sorted! There's nothing more stressful than constantly running out of food for your frogs. I had to switch to Turkish gliders after all my melos crashed due to mites. It happens

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk