Dendroboard - View Single Post - A new way I've been culturing springtails.
Dendroboard

Go Back   Dendroboard
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

View Single Post
Old 11-21-2019, 04:21 PM

Default Re: A new way I've been culturing springtails.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socratic Monologue View Post
Sounds like a great idea. Seems as though your setup solves one of the biggest problems in springtail usage, which is how to feed them out to the frogs (yeah, I know there are a bunch of ways people approach this problem -- this method sounds better than any of the others I've read or tried).

I'm skeptical of the 'vacation feeder' idea. First, a person can dump a lot of springs into a viv without stress to the frogs -- like the population of a few 8 oz cultures. Two, I don't see the value in any sort of vacation feeder; healthy frogs can go a week -- easily -- without any bugs added to a properly running viv, and for more than a week a qualified frogsitter should check in anyway. Perhaps there are some very limited cases where the spring feeder would be useful (growouts where there isn't a naturally large spring population established, maybe), but for general practice vacation feeders aren't valuable.

Some pics of your cultures would be interesting, if you could post some. Thanks for sharing!
Good points for the vacation feeders. Usually that is just what I do (dump a bunch of springs directly into the viv and have a go to frogsitter, I usually don't bother if I am gone less than a week to have someone come over). I guess my thought on the vacation feeder is that instead of the springs quickly getting lost in the wood work the frogs would quickly learn to congregate by the opening where the springs come out. This would almost serve like a feeding station like putting a piece of fruit in your viv to attract fruit flies. It seems to me like it would work in theory. Maybe I will test the theory out and let you know the results.

Also maybe I should clarify the, "no real threat to the frogs comment." I did not mean as much stressing the frogs with too many flies/springs/whatever. I was more thinking of the stories I've heard where frogs get stuck in the culture media of vacation feeders then die.

I will snap a few picks of some cultures when I get home.

Last edited by thedudeabides; 11-21-2019 at 04:33 PM. Reason: jlgghjf