Dendroboard - View Single Post - A new way I've been culturing springtails.
Dendroboard

Go Back   Dendroboard
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

View Single Post
Old 11-21-2019, 03:46 PM

Default Re: A new way I've been culturing springtails.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedudeabides View Post
Let me know what you guys think.
Sounds like a great idea. Seems as though your setup solves one of the biggest problems in springtail usage, which is how to feed them out to the frogs (yeah, I know there are a bunch of ways people approach this problem -- this method sounds better than any of the others I've read or tried).

I'm skeptical of the 'vacation feeder' idea. First, a person can dump a lot of springs into a viv without stress to the frogs -- like the population of a few 8 oz cultures. Two, I don't see the value in any sort of vacation feeder; healthy frogs can go a week -- easily -- without any bugs added to a properly running viv, and for more than a week a qualified frogsitter should check in anyway. Perhaps there are some very limited cases where the spring feeder would be useful (growouts where there isn't a naturally large spring population established, maybe), but for general practice vacation feeders aren't valuable.

Some pics of your cultures would be interesting, if you could post some. Thanks for sharing!

- Whitman