Dendroboard - View Single Post - A new way I've been culturing springtails.
Dendroboard

Go Back   Dendroboard
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

View Single Post
Old 11-21-2019, 02:12 PM

Default A new way I've been culturing springtails.

I am sure there is nothing new under the sun but I have not come across this way of culturing springtails so here it goes.

I have been using 8 ounce deli cups for my cultures, these have small holes poked into them for air exchange. What I do is FIRMLY press clay into the bottom of the cups. This is the same kind of clay you make for clay walls and there are plenty of recipes out there if you look. You can also make the clay calcium bearing for added nutrition.

All you have to do from there is add springtails then feed and mist them accordingly. I feed them brewers yeast and mist when it looks dry or I see cracks in the clay.

It works great as you can create many many cultures in a short amount of time.

The idea of pressing the clay as firm as possible is that then you can tap the culture into a viv without any clay becoming dislodged. Eventually if the cultures dry out a bit the clay might separate from the cups, at this point I do not abandon the culture I simply take the culture and blow the springtails into the viv.

You could alternatively just open the lid to the culture put it into the viv and let the frogs go to town.

I have not tried this but I feel these would make great vacation feeders as well. All that would have to be done is have a culture that is booming and poke a small hole (big enough for the springtails to escape / small enough that no frogs get in) at ground level in the culture. This would slowly release springtails into the viv with no real threat to the frogs. I would imagine some springtails will venture out while other will stay put which would make for a slow and steady release but as I said I haven't but this theory to the test.

Anyway thought I would share. It's been working great for me and I have so many springtails that I have been feeding them all most exclusively to my fish. Let me know what you guys think.