Go Back   Dendroboard
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

View Single Post
Old 11-06-2019, 08:06 PM

Default New Vivarium Setup

I have recently setup a vivarium with a couple of dart frogs. This was a relative spontaneous decision. I have run aquariums of various sizes over the years and we have been discussing owning reptiles/amphibians for a while.

In my setup, I have hydroballs in the bottom, using the coconut fibre as a substrate (separated by a barrier) and covered with moss and leaves. I have a small pump that runs water up the back of the vivarium which then runs down the front of the backing (cork round) and drips down onto the ground. This obvioulsy keeps the substrate pretty moist. Currently I have some springtails in the substrate and looking to add some isopods. I am also about to add some new plants to the vivarium.

I have read in some places that says the coconut fibre is a good choice for a substrate. In other places I have read that it tends to start rotting over time and needs to be replaced. Some suggest that ABG mix is really what should be used. I am also reading in here that having a layer of moss on top the substrate is not a good idea either.

My question is, should I bite the bullet now and replace the coconut fibre with some ABG mix? Or should I just leave everything as is? Should I get rid of the moss and just have a layer of leaves?

cheers,
Paul.