Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

View Single Post
Old 10-20-2019, 09:42 PM

Default Re: First Viv- Buttress Palu

Quote:
Originally Posted by jolthoff View Post
Good luck-- I've always wanted to see buttresses done will and realistically, which is a challenge. I wonder if CNCing them out of wood would be a good way, but then you need to paint it anyway to look like bark.
Well I'm not sure this buttress would be mistaken for a real tree. It looks pretty good in the tank and will be more realistic as plants and moss grow on it. Here's the pre-painted pic. The strips of GS on the right ended up being glued between other buttresses to make ridges.

The point of the large buttress on the foreground is to force the water to go around it. It's siliconed very well to the bottom of the tank. At the right end there is a place in the structure to put a large piece of Poret foam. Either all or the vast majority of the water gets forced through the foam filter. It's basically a version of a Hamburg Mattenfilter that I use on most of my tanks.

There is of course water under the false bottom. The pump is around 60 GPH and is located at the base of the tree. I didn't install a drain because I didn't want to drill the tank. I can siphon if needed, but currently my mister can't keep up with evaporation. I have a MistKing starter with two double nozzles misting 3X 15 seconds a day.

Here's a pic during painting.Notice the buttress ridges between the main roots.

Here's a shot of the false bottom standing on its end. It was all painted with Krylon.