Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

View Single Post
Old 10-13-2019, 07:26 PM

Default Re: Aquarium tear-down for PDF Paludarium

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBM3000 View Post
The more I read, the more 'encouraged' I am to bin the 'body of water' side of things (I've been browsing here today for about eight hours ). I'd still like to have it (and the mechanics don't phase me in the slightest (I love a technical challenge too!)) but I'm not stubborn enough that I won't change my mind when presented with evidence and, I suppose, weight of opinion.

Again, a drip wall is a nice to have but I'm now thinking that misting will keep things moist enough to sustain moss growth, right?
Drip walls are excellent.

One note about drip walls is that you might want to mount them so they lean a bit... with the top being further towards the front of the tank and the bottom being closer to the back of the tank. This will cause the water of the drip wall to flow towards the front of the drip wall thus keeping the moisture toward the outer face. This water flow allows moss to more easily grow on the wall with less misting required.

I have used rectangular janitorial buffing pads to create drip walls for years. It is biologically inert, is much cheeper than epiweb, and is very easy to use / install.

Another reason a drip wall is beneficial is that it allows excellent bio filtration of the water in a false bottom or paludarium, as it helps remove nitrates and nitrites. The biofilm that grows and filters is a great in tank food source for springtails. The lattice work provides tons of living space for springtails and is an excellent in tank breeding area which provides a continuous source of food for the tank.
PBM3000 (10-13-2019)