Dendroboard - View Single Post - Salvaging plants and moss from snail-infested vivarium?
Dendroboard

Go Back   Dendroboard
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

View Single Post
Old 10-10-2019, 12:23 AM

Default Re: Salvaging plants and moss from snail-infested vivarium?

The Pilea and Fittonia would likely show snail damage (holes) before most orchids and broms. Tillandsia and many orchids can fail in vivs due to lack of ventilation and too much moisture.

If it were me, I'd keep the plants you like and give them a proper bleach bath (search here if you need details), and also consider dropping some Sluggo in the new viv. (Not that I think the snails are particularly problematic; I have many that look like yours in a Masdevallia viv and I don't notice any damage. It is just that proper cleanup of plants isn't going to hurt anything.)

As for the moss: here's a thread that suggests that java moss can handle bleach just fine (post #8 has the moss getting absolutely nuked):
https://www.dendroboard.com/forum/ge...ot-bleach.html

Whitman

Last edited by Socratic Monologue; 10-10-2019 at 12:26 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Socratic Monologue For This Useful Post:
adamm (10-10-2019)