Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

View Single Post
Old 10-09-2019, 12:38 AM

Default Re: Tank Cover for Humidity

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenAcres View Post
I ended up checking with our machine shop at work, and he has two scraps of polycarbonate that he can cut down. I was going to set them into the screen top. Should they fit roughly perfectly, or should I have them cut slightly short to leave some ventilation room?

Thank you.
Personally I leave gaps, I always leave gaps. In my view I just close enough to get the job done and dont know of any situ that truly demands extreme measures. I like the perforated aquarium dividers very cut-able and i still leave gaps. If I can get a little fog at the corners Im happy. I make these statements with animals in mind. I am deficient in exotic plants needs. Most of my plants are very common and simple for cover, climbing etc, .

Socrates makes a great point - not just with glass cutting the keeper but when that happens, or something similar fall-in of often unsee-able minutia, o its like when in doubt, you gotta take it all out. Or wonder and worry and I cant do it, Id rather take the hassle pain of a re do.

Keepers at zoos and museums are often subject to anthropocentric pressures from administrative politics and decisions, a matter of goals again, especially institutions in heavily touristed cities. Even environments of the worlds most expensive primates can be influenced by Attraction/Display decisions. ei; reducing areas where the animals are enabled to turn away from full face/eye contact, something that is deeply important in their own psychosocial 'etiquette'.

Off display animals and animal projects controlled by keepers and academic partners often reflect better husbandry models then the exhibited guys.

Like a few people Ive noticed, I too was a zoo keeper, it was in the early 80s before barrier contact rules and cage architecture. Every day was awesome.