Dendroboard - View Single Post - Mantella baroni introgression? Very picture heavy!
Dendroboard

Go Back   Dendroboard
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

View Single Post
Old 10-05-2019, 09:03 AM

Default Re: Mantella baroni introgression? Very picture heavy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hypostatic View Post
Well that's why I asked about whether reference genomes were available for the species. If they're published, you just need primers for stretches of DNA that are different for each species, and you can just do a regular genotyping PCR run. Sequencing wouldn't be necessary.

OH HEY, while the whole genome hasn't been published, it does look like there is some mtDNA data available:
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/bioproject/?term=mantella

Here are specific primers based on that information:
Baroni
Madagascariensis

So yeah... you should be able to tell the species based on whether you get amplification or not, and by PCR band size...

Assuming you have access to everything else needed to run a PCR, the primers would only set you back about $40....
I honestly hadn't considered that

I've worked with COI barcoding in the past and I'm now mostly doing metagenomics so this option completely slipped my mind.

I'll see if I can get this done somewhere in the next weeks, it might require some tweaking with cycle nr etc. and ideally I'll want a positive control for madagascariensis (but that's likely going to be difficult to get).