Dendroboard - View Single Post - Mantella baroni introgression? Very picture heavy!
Dendroboard

Go Back   Dendroboard
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

View Single Post
Old 09-24-2019, 08:18 AM

Default Re: Mantella baroni introgression? Very picture heavy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rain_Frog View Post
Baroni / cowani / nigricans are difficult frogs to breed, but some people like Joshsfrogs have gotten them to breed. I talked to Joshsfrogs a while back and they said they got baroni to breed and what they did was keep them in very, very large groups. They were for sale for a while and the froglets pictured had uniform light mint green with brownish gray backs like in the picture. The froglet pictures are still up under " baroni" on their website. I'm pretty sure it's diet related why most of us have poor success, which is a shame because baroni are so commonly imported yet few people have gotten them figured out. I can say at least visually those froglets have to be baroni or baroni / mad crosses.
Yeah I noticed those photographs on their website. It's a shame there are no ventral photographs of that froglet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hypostatic View Post
Here's a quick assessment of the adults (it's kinda hard on my computer cuz the images aren't resizing properly, and the images are huuuuuge)

WC individual 3 (likely female)
baroni

Deceased WC individual
madagasc
orange flashmarks

WC individual 2 (confirmed male)
madagasc
light upper iris

I would agree here. Their chins have almost the classic madagascariensis "U", I can't see them NOT having any madagasc in them.
Sorry about the massive size of the photographs. I don't see the flashmarks you're referring to though, I'll see if I can make a clear photograph of the legs of the WC male (and post it a bit smaller).

Quote:
Originally Posted by hypostatic View Post
Also, another way to figure it out is with the calls. Madagac is usually *chirp*chirp* or *chirpy*chirp*. Baroni is *tick*..*tick*..*tick*.

Madagascariensis calling:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HAEIRauZ7KA

Baroni calling:
https://amphibiaweb.org/sounds/Mantella_baroni.mp3

*also just noticed the eyes in Deceased WC individual. This would also support madagasc
This is the CB male calling at the height of the calling bout (he usually starts slower and speeds up when he sees another frog). To me this sounds more like baroni, just a bit faster than the URL you posted:

I don't have videos of the other males calling (specifically because the WC one only calls sporadically) but they also have singular "ticks" when they call.

Last edited by Johanovich; 09-24-2019 at 08:21 AM.