Dendroboard - View Single Post - Mantella baroni introgression? Very picture heavy!
Dendroboard

Go Back   Dendroboard
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

View Single Post
Old 09-23-2019, 11:35 AM

Default Re: Mantella baroni introgression? Very picture heavy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rain_Frog View Post
I would probably say the mint green frog with some speckling on its back that appears to be missing most of its flashmarks from top view on the femur could be a madagascariensis, even though the easiest way to differentiate the two visually is the orange flashmark on the femur. I used to have a frog that looked nearly identical except he had orange flash marks and red all the way on the underside of the legs up to the waist. If you got them from a reputable source it could just be variation. Unfortunately there is no locale data for any mantellas so there could be different morphs that people have mixed unintentionally.

However, the picture from Joshsfrogs of their CB baroni had the light mint green color as froglets, so it could just be an age thing.

I have not bred baroni, but from the images online of CB baroni vs CB mads, mads are mostly brown when they morph out and teeny tiny with almost no green coloration.

Note though there are arguments that madagascariensis may be a complex of species, but baroni is genetically identical to nigricans.
Thanks for the info, as I mentioned in my original post, I'd consider the seller to be a highly reputable source. I don't have photographs of the froglets when they just morphed out unfortunately as I only got them when they were already 9 months of age.

Earliest photograph I have (around 9 months OOW):

And a little under a month later:

I've done a bit of digging on the forum and there seem to be other threads documenting Mantella baroni with aberrant characteristics (horseshoe shaped spots on throats and gold upper part of iris). In particular these two are interesting with regard to the characteristics shown:
https://www.dendroboard.com/forum/id...at-specie.html
https://www.dendroboard.com/forum/me...ella-tank.html

I'll keep an eye on mine and post some more pictures now and then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hypostatic View Post
At least a few of your frogs appear to be madagascariensis

From what I understand, Josh's has only been able to breed a SINGLE individual to the froglet stage. Other than that, there is pretty much NO ONE being successful in breeding this species.
I wasn't aware that this was only a single froglet. However I do know a few people in europe who at least have had clutches (both fertile and infertile) and tadpoles of baroni.

Last edited by Johanovich; 09-23-2019 at 11:37 AM.