Dendroboard - View Single Post - Mantella baroni introgression? Very picture heavy!
Dendroboard

Go Back   Dendroboard
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

View Single Post
Old 09-22-2019, 12:57 AM

Default Re: Mantella baroni introgression? Very picture heavy!

I would probably say the mint green frog with some speckling on its back that appears to be missing most of its flashmarks from top view on the femur could be a madagascariensis, even though the easiest way to differentiate the two visually is the orange flashmark on the femur. I used to have a frog that looked nearly identical except he had orange flash marks and red all the way on the underside of the legs up to the waist. If you got them from a reputable source it could just be variation. Unfortunately there is no locale data for any mantellas so there could be different morphs that people have mixed unintentionally.

However, the picture from Joshsfrogs of their CB baroni had the light mint green color as froglets, so it could just be an age thing.

I have not bred baroni, but from the images online of CB baroni vs CB mads, mads are mostly brown when they morph out and teeny tiny with almost no green coloration.

Note though there are arguments that madagascariensis may be a complex of species, but baroni is genetically identical to nigricans.

Last edited by Rain_Frog; 09-22-2019 at 01:14 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Rain_Frog For This Useful Post:
Johanovich (09-22-2019)