No Threads to Display.

facebook

View Single Post
Old 09-16-2019, 06:55 PM

Default Re: First build progress pics and my afterthoughts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimcmich View Post
Greetings,

The new viv is off to a good start. You've used some sturdy and commonly available houseplants in this initial planting. Although they all will likely grow pretty well in your viv, I think you'll need to consider the long term prospects of many of them.

The Epipremnum vine is bulletproof but it is a bit too rambunctious for a viv of your size. I find them to be a problem even in large vivs - but certainly in small vivs they tend to be a bit of a bully.

Alocasia are beautiful plants but their form, which relies on a few leaves that are as large as possible, means they quickly become a problem in the viv. The plant will want to produce progressively leaves but you'll want the rest of the tank to get light too.

The Tradescantia is another beautiful plant but it will take over quickly in a viv. It makes a wonderful houseplant but it tends to be another bully in vivs.

Quick-growing plants are satisfying early in a viv's life when they help to fill-in quickly. I think you're viv will benefit long-term from a transition to slower-growing and/or smaller-statured plants like small ferns, some of the smaller philodendron and maybe some Sinningia or trailing African violet cultivars.

Your mileage may vary: If you are hobbyist who likes to get into your viv every few days anyway, the chore of keeping exuberant growth in-check might not be an issue. Clearing out some of them, though, would give you more room for Bromeliads which your eventual, Ranitomeya residents will appreciate.

Thanks for the thoughtful response! I find all of this very valid. I feel that in my initial planting I wanted to take up a lot of space so my tank did not look so bare. In the long run, some of these species will definitely be overbearing. I have already removed several species in my tank and am planning on picking up some slower growing species at an upcoming reptile show.

I currently donít mind getting in my tank for pruning, but it might become a chore after awhile.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk