Go Back   Dendroboard
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

View Single Post
Old 09-11-2019, 01:35 AM

Default First build progress pics and my afterthoughts

I recently took on my first build in an 18x18x24 Exo-Terra. This tank will eventually house some species of Ranitomeya once I am happy with the looks.

I went with the silicone and great stuff method. I covered the glass with black silicone so it was more aesthetically pleasing than the yellowish foam. Some cork flats were arranged in a way that allowed for some pots to be fashioned into the background.

Once I had a decent layout the great stuff was added. I should have been more tedious about adding it in layers as I had a bit of shirking my first go.

After my foam was carved and plucked, I added another layer of my black silicone and pressed some eco-earth into it. From what I have seen in other tanks,I’ve always liked the look eco-earth gives. Drainage layer, some AGB mix, and some plants came after.

I added some leaf litter and lights and it started coming together a bit.

A little more rearranging.

And that is pretty much where I am at. There were a few things I liked about this build I have not seen many other people do so I thought I would share those now.

First put silicone around the base of my enclosure so the drainage layer was not visible.

I kept a small section towards the back so I could still check to see if it needed to be drained.

Lastly I put fish tubing down before I added my foam. This way I can siphon water out of the bottom of my tank without digging into the corner of my terrarium. The tubing runs right out the top of my tank for easy access.

I still need to modify the top lid as it is currently just screen. I plan to make the back panel all glass and then add a finer mesh screening to the front. I will then have another piece of glass cut to rest on top of my cage so I can move it freely to adjust air flow and humidity.

That’s pretty much it. My only concerns for this tank are the plant species I currently have. I’m aware my alocasia will grow very large but I love the way they look. I plan on adding in a jewel orchid and marcgravia and taking out that nerve plant.

If anyone has any questions or suggestions let me know. Thanks for reading!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by jacobsforbes; 09-11-2019 at 01:39 AM.