Dendroboard - View Single Post - What are the best broms for Darts??
Dendroboard

Go Back   Dendroboard
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

View Single Post
Old 09-10-2019, 02:12 AM

Default Re: What are the best broms for Darts??

Alright then, there's no mystery how you're killing broms. You've been drowning and smothering them. Either get them out of the "floor" substrate (and onto a background or some branches), or drain better and water less. Seriously, if you give them appropriate conditions, broms are tough, tough plants.

I've been around this topic with a few guys here, and some disagree with me for some reason or other - perfectly valid to them, not very convincing to me - but I will always tell a guy to just drill and drain. Forget the siphon. Just remember to dump your bucket every month or so. Do this, and you should be virtually unable to drown another plant.

One factoid that might interest you - I get the fattest brom bases (which I take an an indication of happy broms) when I plant them along the top of a "cracked cork mosaic", specifically where I've used half-rounds of cork along the top of the mosaic, and back-filled those half-rounds with ABG. Plant into that ABG and you've got the happiest crankin' broms you ever did see. Just leave enough "freeboard" above the top row of cork, to fit the plants below your screen. Or, silicone on really thin pieces of cork above the planting row. Personally, I like it clear up there so I can look into the tank from the side - I like to put my half-rounds on the viv ends, and run my actual background (rear of the viv) up closer to the screen. That way I can do a drip wall on the back, and just mist the broms on the sides. I can have moss on the back, and broms on the side, and nobody's unhappy. Something to ponder...works for me.

Good luck!
The Following User Says Thank You to jgragg For This Useful Post:
David Kurn (09-11-2019)