Dendroboard - View Single Post - Branch Epiphyte Vivarium

Go Back   Dendroboard
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.


View Single Post
  #12 (permalink)  
Old 09-08-2019, 04:13 AM
Okapi's Avatar
Okapi Okapi is offline
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Ky
Posts: 1,213
Thanks: 150
Thanked 136 Times in 101 Posts

Once I had the vivarium situated in its permanent location I cut a piece of weed block fabric to size and got it under the wood.

I then back filled under the fabric with LECA. It would have been impossible to get the fabric under the lowest projections of the wood after the drainage layer was in place. This is why I had to put the fabric and LECA in what would normally be a counter productive order.

I did leave an area free of LECA to act as a pond for both aesthetics and practicality of draining excess water. I filled this depression with gravel and used gravel around the perimeter of the folded over fabric to hold it in place as I added substrate.

The substrate mix is loosely based on ABG mix.

Once the substrate was added I misted the tank down and started placing bromeliads.

I am going to a reptile show tomorrow and might buy some more bromeliads there depending on what is available. I still need to add terrestrial plants, microfauna and then leaf litter. I won't be adding any more epiphytes until the wood has absorbed enough moisture that it won't be pulling moisture away from the plants.

Last edited by Okapi; 09-08-2019 at 04:24 AM.
Reply With Quote
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT. The time now is 11:25 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.