Originally Posted by Kmc
I have found Hydrogen Peroxide to be a useful alternative to bleach in deep cleaning rocks. I mix my own dilutes according to need, starting with 35% food grade H202. I usually use 10%. There is less time rinsing and good mechanical and antimicrobial activity without residual
While I think this is good information, I also feel there needs to be some disclaimer here on an open forum with all sorts of people with different levels of experience. 35% Hydrogen Peroxide is dangerous stuff. According to the F.D.A., there is no such thing as "Food grade" H2O2. The only hydrogen peroxide listed in the U.S. Pharmacopeia (U.S.P.) is a 3% and 10%, which you can dilute as you said. If you know how to do a dilution.
This stuff will look (and I guess, taste) pretty much like water. If someone accidentally drinks it, they will quite possibly die. While the same is true of bleach; you'll know the second you smell that bleach. This stuff is being sold in health food stores often with little to no explanation of what it is. So be careful folks!
It would be a very simple sterilization method on rocks, and perhaps wood; but it does not mix with living things. Handle with gloves as well, don't get 35% H2O2 on your skin.
Okay, that's the disclaimer, use it wisely friends.