Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

View Single Post
Old 08-26-2019, 10:21 PM

Default Re: Grey Mantala for false Bottom

Quote:
if you use (Matala) (I'm thinking Grey) as a false bottom, you can just use a barrier screen and then straight to ABG substrate, correct? And is a single layer (1.5 inches) enough, or do you double up?
Confirmed - exactly this is a fine way to go. Single layer is fine - the cheapest option, and Matala is not cheap - as long as you don't let your water level get too close to the barrier screen. But you face exactly the same need with 2 layers, 3, etc.: let it wick, and you're on the road to hell. Soggy, stinky, blech.

In my bigger vivs I go 2 layers, smaller I go one. It's just a function of the diameter of the side or rear drain hole I (feel the need to) install, how far from the glass margin I can put the hole, how much room I need to leave for the bulkhead, etc. Bigger holes, bigger bulkheads, more residual margin needed, deeper Matala or other drainage layer needed.

Lovely little viv BTW, SM.

cheers
The Following User Says Thank You to jgragg For This Useful Post:
Skidd (08-27-2019)