Dendroboard banner

how many times can you reuse a fruit fly culture

3K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  Rain_Frog 
#1 ·
this might have been asked but could not find it.

how many times can you reuse a fruit fly culture before you have to get a new one. I have the same FF that i got from joshs frogs and have made something like 10 or so over time. I make 2 cultures a week.

#2 ·
I am well over 200 cultures from two cultures (over a year). I do frequently mix two cultures into one when making new ones (Makes me feel like I have some genetic diversity).

I think as long as your flies look healthy and you are using supplements when feeding you should be fine.

I definitely would like to see how others feel about this.

#5 ·
this might have been asked but could not find it.
It is buried deep in some of the general FF culturing threads. I don't think I would be able to find it on demand either, but all those old threads are worth reading as you find time.

Theoretically, you can reproduce FF's ad infinitum. In practice, folks who always use only the new booming flies for new cxs end up selecting for flies that don't produce much past the first boom. Also, if mites get in, and you keep starting new cxs with mitey flies, production on the new cxs can drop.

#6 ·
Yes I’m taking the ff’s from each booming culture to start the next ones. I’m making 2 about every week. Than you both For the information. I’m glad I found dendroboard I have found some good information on here and some good ideas on my next Vivarium

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.