Dendroboard - View Single Post - T10: Coming Terrarium based on Dragon Driftwood. (+ Journal)
Dendroboard

Go Back   Dendroboard
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

View Single Post
Old 08-23-2019, 09:18 PM

Default Re: T10: Coming Terrarium based on Dragon Driftwood. (+ Journal)

Thank you for the suggestion! That is probably a better option aesthetically than what I ended up substituting out Dendrobium kingianum for: Ficus Benjamina branches. My reasons were 1) they will grow quickly enough that I won't have to wait 10 years for a nice-looking forest, and 2) they are free, because I had a Ficus benjamina tree that I needed to trim anyway. It is a tree, however, that would need to be frequently cut to size.

Your suggested Norfolk Island Pine is nearer aesthetically to the forest I am going for. I would be somewhat worried, though, that without aerial roots, it might not create a complex network that sort of hides the driftwood head. (Although I may be able to achieve that with undergrowth-like bushy plants.) If it can stand not-quite-as-powerful-as-the-sun Spectral Design lights, I think it would create a nice canopy, and produce a dappled-light effect perhaps.

I'll post some update photos while I'm at it:

^I took out the Dendrobium kingianum stalks and caked the ground in NZ tree fern fiber. It looks like pine straw, and it would also help the kind of plants I wanted to put in the substrate.

^A bunch of Ficus benjamina branches, probably too many, but we'll see.

^Put down some "grass" in the form of various gathered mosses.

Some of these decisions are questionable, and I understand, and I welcome criticism. Note that I am not completely going for the typical terrarium look. It is also very possible I will replace the Ficus benjamina branches before they root.

A sidenote: I am definitely going with the background decal plan now, and it is possible I will even rip up the tree fern fiber plaques. The plaques seem to be causing water to drip on Pyrrosia christii and turning its leaves brown.