Dendroboard

Go Back   Dendroboard
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

View Single Post
Old 08-23-2019, 01:35 AM

Copepods, free-living crustaceans that feed on single celled organisms in the water. They make good food for fish fry and Utricularia plants. I'm not sure how they got into your culture but I would be stoked to find them in with my springtails. Not because they are any benefit to the springtails but because I collect Utricularia and add copepods to the water in every Utricularia containing vivarium or pot.

Edit: I have been culturing my springtails on a substrate of ABG and leaves with no standing water. I might have to set up a water and charcoal springtail culture just to see if it produces copepods as well as yours did.

Edit 2: I see you said the culture is new. Springtail cultures take a little while to get booming. A lot get of the adults get crushed in shipping. I have ordered springtail cultures that looked DOA but a few months later were booming. In my experience, in charcoal cultures the smallest springtails and the eggs survive shipping while a lot of the adults die.

Last edited by Okapi; 08-23-2019 at 01:44 AM.