I made a little more progress tonight. I carved the last section of the foam background.
I say carved, but really I have been creating texture by pinching and tearing at the foam until all of the glossy, smooth surface foam is removed.
The end product of doing this is this texture:
I have decided to just go with the silicone and peat/coir method rather than try to finagle hygrolon under the wood and over the foam. Im worried that I will end up dislodging one of the branches and with enough misting and humidity the other method will still grow moss just fine.
The next step will be to tape newspaper around every piece of wood in preparation for the silicone step. I am not looking forward to that part.
I also still need to decide how I am going to do air circulation/possibly ventilation and how many mist king nozzles I should order.
The current plant list is as follows:
Neo 'Wild Tiger'
Neo 'Mini Skirt'
Neo ampullacea hybrid (red)
Neo 'Chiquita Linda'
Neo 'Red Waif'
Neo Vulcan x Black Knight
Peperomia sp. 'Costa Rica red'
Dinema polybulbon 'Golden Gate'
Tropical mosses (java, christmas, willow, etc)
The possible plant list (plants in house) is as follows:
Pilea sp. 'Dark mystery'
Possibly a fern or two
I will likely order some mini orchids when the weather is more mild.
The Neoregelias are currently in a 10 gallon waiting for this vivarium to be finished.