I decided to try my hand at an epiphyte themed vivarium so I did a mockup with some wood that I had sitting around.
I had a 75 gallon aquarium with slate siliconed to the back glass in storage. I decided to remove the slate and use it for this build.
Removing the slate took a long time.
Once the slate was removed I rebuilt the mockup in the aquarium to make sure it would fit.
Next I siliconed egg crate the the back glass to act as support for the foam background. After that cured I started foaming the wood into place, starting on one side.
After that foam had cured I carved it and started working with the wood on the other side. I used rocks, tape, string, and other random items to hold the wood into place while the foam cured.
After it cured, I made sure that the wood was supported by the foam before starting to carve it.
I added a couple of net pots behind the branches and foamed them into place.
From there I started foaming the rest of the background. Unfortunately I ran out of foam so I cant finish foaming the background tonight.
On the way home from work tomorrow I will get more foam and fill in the rest of the background. This is how it looks as of right now:
I plan to do the silicone and peat/coir method to cover the foam but may also work in some moisture wicking fabric that resembles hygrolon. Plants will include Neoregelia, Peperomia, moss, orchids, and Pilea