Dendroboard - View Single Post - T10: Coming Terrarium based on Dragon Driftwood. (+ Journal)
Dendroboard

Go Back   Dendroboard
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

View Single Post
Old 08-19-2019, 01:18 AM

Default Re: T10: Coming Terrarium based on Dragon Driftwood. (+ Journal)

Some updates, notes for myself:

^I've put in some plants considered for placement in this terrarium, to see how they fit. Dendrobium kingianum, on the left, will be part of the forest in front of the face. (It will be mixed with a Dendrobium auriculatum I believe.)

There is a peat brick --- an item I've had around for a while, whose properties I have not understood well enough to plant something in it up to and including now --- supporting the head from behind. I am hoping with a little support from sphagnum moss maybe the vines / neoregelias / other plants will root into it, because otherwise they'd have to go all the way to the ground.

(Anybody have experience with peat bricks? I'm not really aware of whether it's considered a terrestrial or epiphytic medium, or both or neither.)

^These orchids --- whose leaves are "purpling" for reasons I don't understand --- are candidates for placement elsewhere. The Trichosalpinx memor may be draped across the head, rooting in that back area. Pleurothallis geographica, I'm not as sure about. Originally I had been thinking it would make a forest-like tree.

I also want to plant some kind of small clingy epiphyte, likely a Microgramma, somewhere along the "horn". And perhaps a clingy Marcgravia going up the mouth / snout.

I stuck some Dusk moss mix all around the ghostwood head earlier today, but these photographs were taken prior to that.

I will probably build up the substrate with more ABG mix when I get it