Dendroboard - View Single Post - Inspire me: Horizontal branches with epiphytes in your vivariums?
Dendroboard

Go Back   Dendroboard
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

View Single Post
Old 08-12-2019, 10:55 AM

Default Re: Inspire me: Horizontal branches with epiphytes in your vivariums?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrophyte View Post
I don't have any recent shots to show it planted, but here is a branch feature I made with Vivarium Works casting epoxy over a foam core and with Hygrolon glued in place as a planting surface...

Rather than using a branch with epiphytes in front of a regular vivarium background, think about designing it as the main feature in front of a black or open background. This will give you negative space in the layout and a much more dramatic effect.
Eyy, that's a brilliant one, thanks!

I was thinking about the idea of epiphytes on branches and having the back darker/maybe a few Marcgravia and some moss, so thank you.

Or possibly trying to go a kinda...buttress root effect going across the back? Very dependent on if I can make one that doesn't look terrible though.

I might try and set it up so the back is a bit shaded and light is more concentrated towards the front and middle of the viv to give more of a "fade into the distance" look. With fishtanks my favoured background has always been just taping black bin bags to the back rather than anything photorealistic. Draw the attention to the content and build an idea of space rather than defining the bounds of the space.