Dendroboard - View Single Post - Newbie from Chicago!
Dendroboard

Go Back   Dendroboard
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

View Single Post
Old 08-04-2019, 05:33 AM

Default Newbie from Chicago!

Hello,
Finally made an account here after lurking for like two years and finally setting up a few vivariums that I'm giving some time to grow in... hi! I'm Elisabluh, I'm a grad student from Chicago, and once my tanks are grown in I'm hoping to get a small group of orange terribs, a pair of azures, and a pair/trio of some sorta thumbnail once I have some real experience.

Here's my vivs so far! All Josh's Frogs kits lol, with a little extras here and there (mostly extra bromeliads).

First build, 12x12x18, just added two new plants that didn't fit in the newer one because I killed one of the existing ones (not enough air flow, oops) and figured more plants = happier thumbnails. The cork bark piece was an afterthought I found in a Petco one day that was just too cute to resist... that little knothole tho.

Second one is 24x18x18 and the home for a future group of orange terribs - I put a trex foam "rainforest rapids" background on top of the false bottom and one bag's worth of ABG, cut some extra places in it for plants... I think it does a good job of adding surface area! Really wanted to focus on "terrestrial" for this one - there's three branches in there but they're pretty much ramps for accessing the other levels of the vivarium.

Finally, this 18x18x18 that I want to house a pair of azures in! I just finished putting it together this morning, and I'm very excited about the piece of spider wood I found at a local reptile shop. The skull decor seemed like the perfect hide heh.

And that's it! I haven't delved into the whole "make your own great stuff background with a waterfall and an automatic mister and a drive-in theatre that exclusively plays The Princess and the Frog" thing yet, and probably won't for some time due to the whole grad-student-living-in-an-apartment thing, but I'm excited to finally get started with all this! I'm culturing springtails and wrangling isopods and there's bits of sphagnum moss EVERYWHERE!

Nice to meet y'all! ^^

Last edited by Elisabluh; 08-04-2019 at 05:35 AM. Reason: botched the bbc for an image