Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

View Single Post
Old 07-23-2019, 11:11 PM

Default Native Texas Plants

Howdy, ya'll!

I will be starting a vivarium soon and am on the research stage. The goal is to make an enclosure suitable for a single green anole. It will be a paludarium with the land section being 18x18x18 with a small stream and, hopefully, native plants.

The issue is that I'm having trouble finding much information on suitable plants for a combination of lighting, humidity (60-75%), size and safety for anoles.

There is a plant that grows in my yard that I love, but I made the mistake of assuming it was native. Unfortunately I figured out that it's Asian ponyfoot and wouldn't suit my "native" needs.

Otherwise, I'm currently looking at maidenhair spleenwort, maidenhair fern, and Missouri violet. Ball moss (Tillandsia recurvata) is everywhere here, but I'm not sure if it's suitable.

I'd also love maybe two types of mosses. Of the species native to Texas, I like funaria hygrometrica, weissia controversa and selaginella peruvina, but I have no idea how obtainable these or any Texas-native mosses would be. I don't live in an area where I've ever seen mosses wild. The area I'm in is more known for its evergreen shrubs, live oaks and prairie.

I'd love some suggestions for color and variety and any other insight you guys might have.