Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

View Single Post
Old 07-12-2019, 12:35 AM

Default Re: High light plants

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekG4 View Post
I had a couple plants turn yellow and some eventually died, which is what led me to believe it was because of the light being too bright. I had multiple begonias all turn yellow in different spots, I had an alocasia that had both its leaves turn yellow and wither away, I had another one that I forgot the name of that was labeled i believe “prayer plant” that I got from Lowe’s, it was green with red veins on it, it was thick and the leaf had like protrusions on it, that one I saw was low light But I guess even in the spot I had it at was too much. I also had a “glowstar” fern but that one turned brown and just lost leaves, couldn’t tell it that was due to light, you can see it in the pic there’s some remnants of it in the center.

The only plants I have now that’s still in there that’s being affected is the bromeliad on the left (not all the leaves are affected however) and the center schefflera. That schefflera is weird to me because it was a nice green just like the left one and turned yellow (assuming from the light) but it appears as if it’s reaching.
This sounds/looks like a water problem to me, not a light issue. Most houseplants appreciate more light than you think they would. You can google "sunburned plants" to get an idea of what light exposure does to plants- they tend to get brown and crispy. You'd need some really intense terrarium lighting to accomplish that.

It's not easy to tell, but it looks like the leaves of a couple plants are browning at the ends. That could be underwatering (although your plants don't look droopy, so I don't think it's that), overwatering (especially in a closed system with nowhere for evaporated water to go), or possibly salt/water quality damage.

Regardless, you should really add a means for airflow. Nothing really does well in a stagnant, closed system. It can be done with plants such as ferns and mosses, but you cannot count on a handful of plants to produce enough clean air for living animals.