Dendroboard - View Single Post - How much passive ventilation is too much for plants?
Dendroboard

Go Back   Dendroboard
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

View Single Post
Old 07-11-2019, 11:37 PM

Default How much passive ventilation is too much for plants?

I'm trying to figure out how wide I want to get a piece of glass for the top of an Exo Terra, and that relies on figuring out how wide a strip I want to make the ventilation screen.

I have a screen window kit from ages ago, which looks like this:

The problem with that is these corners:

Those four little corner braces at the top of the package have to be inserted into the aluminum frames to hold them together. But from either of the two ends to the middle is 2.25" long. Which means that the screen panel I intend to make must be, at the very least, 4.5" wide.

This is the Exo Terra in question (+ my toes):

The footprint of the ceiling is 24" x 18". I am planning on resting the screen panel on the back of the tank, so that it will be 24" long.

That means that, at 4.5" wide, the screen panel will be basically 25% of the surface area of the top of the tank. (In reality it will be slightly less due to the aluminum frames.)

My question is, is 25% of the ventilation too much? Will it fail to hold humidity for plants?

I am planning to use either mosquito netting or weed barrier as the screen material, although I am uncertain as to whether or not air can pass quickly enough through weed barrier. (It's also annoying to cut in a straight line.)