Dendroboard

Go Back   Dendroboard
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

View Single Post
Old 07-07-2019, 11:50 AM

I had a couple plants turn yellow and some eventually died, which is what led me to believe it was because of the light being too bright. I had multiple begonias all turn yellow in different spots, I had an alocasia that had both its leaves turn yellow and wither away, I had another one that I forgot the name of that was labeled i believe “prayer plant” that I got from Lowe’s, it was green with red veins on it, it was thick and the leaf had like protrusions on it, that one I saw was low light But I guess even in the spot I had it at was too much. I also had a “glowstar” fern but that one turned brown and just lost leaves, couldn’t tell it that was due to light, you can see it in the pic there’s some remnants of it in the center.

The only plants I have now that’s still in there that’s being affected is the bromeliad on the left (not all the leaves are affected however) and the center schefflera. That schefflera is weird to me because it was a nice green just like the left one and turned yellow (assuming from the light) but it appears as if it’s reaching.

I originally had my light on max intensity but after 10 minutes I realized it was giving off way too much heat, it had the viv around 85, I was told it shouldn’t be any higher than 80 so I lowered the intensity to the point that it wouldn’t be hotter than 80 at its peak time. If that lowered setting is what really burned the plants, I can’t imagine it at 100% brightness.

About the water, my drainage layer is about 2” deep, I was told the actual water layer shouldn’t be any higher than 3/4’s of it, so I kinda minimized spraying (I used to spray it pretty heavily), normally I would spray it probably once a day or 2. Naturally behind the stump and at the right corner with the Java moss it’s pretty moist, so in case it does get somewhat dry there’s those two spots the frog can moisten itself. I have a big seed pod in the corner that I used as a water bowl but the Java moss I guess rooted into it and broke through, so anytime I pour water in it it’ll just go through in about 20 minutes. Should I spray more often/amount?

Could it be I don’t have much growth because the dirt’s nutrients have been depleted? I’ve never added any sort of plant nutrients/fertilizers to the viv.