Dendroboard - View Single Post - Avocado tree for a creative Viv?
Dendroboard

Go Back   Dendroboard
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

View Single Post
Old 07-03-2019, 07:33 PM
Mod

Default Re: Avocado tree for a creative Viv?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gryfer29 View Post
Lighting can stress out a crestie? I didnít know. My tank is 36 tall and has some large cork tubes for her to hide in. I bought an Hd freshwater prime. Is that too much

Well, in the wild cresties live in the understory in thick bushy growth (the forest in New Caledonia has a thinner canopy than a tropical rainforest, so there's more understory growth than in, say, Peru). They hide all day in tree holes and the like (cork tubes replicate that in captivity). They're accustomed to pretty dim light, and good amount of cover.

Cresties are adaptable enough that they don't show stress too readily (unlike, say, leachianus, who stress very easily by uncomfortable conditions such as too much light). But, yes, dim is better than bright for them.

The prime is great because you can dim it to whatever light level you want. Just keep in mind that the plants are for your benefit (the geckos just want a dark hole), and for the geckos to climb on at night (though a thick fake vine would do well for them).

- Whitman
The Following User Says Thank You to Socratic Monologue For This Useful Post:
gryfer29 (07-03-2019)