Dendroboard - View Single Post - Isopod Genetics?
Dendroboard

Go Back   Dendroboard
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

View Single Post
Old 06-25-2019, 05:31 PM

Default Re: Isopod Genetics?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socratic Monologue View Post
Looks as if the whites have been isolated already (that isn't to say that you shouldn't isolate the genes you have): https://captiveisopoda.com/products/...osus-white-out

I've no evidence that there's a pied morph of that species in existence, so definitely look for that one.

I agree that breeding the visual gene carrier to any other isos in the colony, then pairing the visual to the heterozygous offspring would be a good way to proceed. This would also answer questions 1-3.

As to Q #4, since you'd be making non-visual carriers, it makes sense to try to sex the visual leucistic, then cross it with as many of the opposite sex you can find. Random mixing of sexes would make it impossible for you to find the het offspring, since many of them won't be carriers.
Aw shucks hoping I was the first but now I know they're out there and what someone charges for them, thanks! Yeah I figured I should isolate it, it's probably breeding age now and I should try to get as many babies as possible while it's around.

Last edited by thedudeabides; 06-25-2019 at 05:38 PM. Reason: hg