Go Back   Dendroboard
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

View Single Post
Old 06-07-2019, 07:25 PM

Default Re: 20g High Vivarium w/ Pond Build

Very pretty! How is the waterfall flowing? (I can see now that when I said it looks like a bridge, I was looking at it the wrong way. It had seemed that there was a hollow under the riverbed.)

Quote:
In terms of arthrodpods, no idea. For vivariums, you could do tropical types of cockroaches, perhaps a different morph of isopods, millipedes, blue death feigning beetle, mantids(depend on species), giant vinegaroon, scorpions like an emperor.
Quote:
If you were setting up the vivarium just for the arthropods, then the following make great pets:
Tailless whipscorpions /ambliplygy(Damon diadema, Paraphrynus cubensis) (they tend to like it on the drier side with lots of vertical objects to hang onto, I saw an amazing setup like this at a zoo, and had success breeding them myself with a similar setup, they're also communal so it can be great to watch them interact)

Centipedes, could do a nice setup with scolopendra polymorpha or S. subspinipes, tropical plants, etc.
I was wondering if there were any other beetles that work well with a planted environment, like stag / rhino / hercules beetles?

I took a class in Yucatan once, part of which involved being in a tremendously uncivilized neck of the woods --- probably no electricity in a 75 mile radius from it. It was very much a tropical wooded environment, and there were creepy-crawlies out the wazoo. Once at night, I heard what sounded like a little helicopter flying around me. The next day when I described it, one of the guides said they knew what it was, and he showed me the corpse of a 6" beetle.

I doubt 6" beetles are exactly a norm in the insect pet world, but that's just an example.