Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

Thread: Reviving DB
View Single Post
Old 04-26-2019, 09:46 PM

Default Re: Reviving DB

Echoing a bit of what Ravage had to say, I suspect that the lack of ordinary socializing is related to the permanent, forever searchable nature of forums. It's difficult to comment sometimes, knowing that putting something in writing implies a permanent commitment to what is said. Our views on things evolve over time. That's where I think a live chat could be helpful.

It gives us the ability to discuss things more casually, without us having to labor over the long-term value of the conversation and how it could influence future users, or whether we'll say something we'll later regard as foolish, and have to see it here forevermore. I take much greater care writing comments I know are going to permanently be part of our forum than I do coming up with off-the-cuff chitchat in person.

That's why I think live chat lends spontaneity, and would be a real improvement to the site. It's low-commitment. It's fun to check and see who's online to chat with. It has more room for goofing around.