Re: Reviving DB
In my rant above, I didn't take the time to advocate for Dendroboard as being a worthy place where FB folks can land after having their groups closed down. Is DB a technological dinosaur that shoots itself in the foot because of how difficult it is to do certain things? Heck yeah, it is! However, I think it's still a great place for discussion about dart frogs. Here is a list of reasons that I think Dendroboard is still a good platform for the dart frog community:
1) Topics from Dendroboard come up high in the list when I use Google to search for stuff - especially off-the-beaten-trail stuff. When I want to see a picture of a frog or have a strange question, it is still likely to be a Dendroboard thread where I get my answer from a general Google search (not even talking about the Search Bar here in Dendroboard).
2) The posts are semi-permanent. This is a blessing and a curse (as evidenced by the number of people that still think it's a good idea to seal the tops of their tanks and to have a layer of sphagnum under their leaf litter), but it is a great place to archive knowledge for the ages. That means that if you take the time to write a long post, you can rest assured that it is worth your time because so many people will see it over the years.
3) The community is relatively self-policing. If some knucklehead (ok, me) posts something that is wrong or doesn't make sense, someone else is likely to question its validity. This works well because of the information readily provided about each user. You can tell how long someone has been on the board and how active they are. If someone with a join date in the early 2000s with a high post count comments on something, I will give their opinion more weight. It seems to me that this sort of cultural feedback loop is not nearly as prevalent on FB.
4) It doesn't have rules against selling animals. In fact, it has rules in place that make it a relatively safe place for people to buy and sell animals. The much-maligned rule that you need to have 25 posts and a certain amount of time elapse before you can participate in the Marketplace is a good example of this. It's annoying but it protects people. I have to say thanks to the mods for guarding people safety and money on this board for so long, too.
5) DB is, as a whole, a pretty respectful and well-meaning place to have discussions. There are very few people who are here primarily to troll others. Maybe we are a bit TOO respectful and well-meaning sometimes as Woodswalker was saying, but I think there is still plenty of tolerance for humor and some frivolous posts. I have never been called out for any of my feeble attempts at humor, anyway. I actually think that the tone of this board is one of the things that I like the best about it. People seem to genuinely want to help each other and even when correction needs to be made, it is usually done in as gentle a manner as possible.
That's what I can come up with for now. Feel free to add to my list.