Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

Thread: Reviving DB
View Single Post
Old 04-23-2019, 09:34 PM

Default Re: Reviving DB

I was quite content with Dendroboard, to be honest. However, sometime around 2015 or so, I noticed a sharp drop-off in the usual content, along with the users who would typically post that content. At the time, I didn't have a Facebook profile, but I stumbled across a group related to vivarium plants via a google search and realized that was where all of the Dendroboard users had gone. I eventually signed up and began posting almost exclusively there, simply because that was where the content was - the inspiration, the sharing, and the trading. Interestingly, most of my 'friends' and 'followers' on Facebook are actually acquaintances from Dendroboard.

Really, all that needs to be done to 'revive' Dendroboard is for users to continue to post their content here - it's that simple.

Beyond the continual influx of new hobbyists, and the questions that come along with them (which everyone seems to continually gripe about), Dendroboard is a great platform for sharing and archiving content and it has a lot of things going for it. It's more conducive to thoughtful discussion (and even scientific, at times); it's easily searchable (though some seem to have a difficult time); it allows for text editing, letting you to better convey your thoughts and imply emphasis; and, it's self-governed, allowing the users to cultivate a community centered around sharing, selling and trading frogs, plants, materials and information specific to vivaria.

And, it's that last bit that should really be highlighted, in my opinion. It's the users who make this place what it is - in particular the moderators and administrators who do the janitorial work, the 'thankless' work.

In many ways, there is a greater sense of community here than on Facebook, but I have also noticed an up-tick in the number of local, in-person clubs and meetings nation wide relating to vivaria and I think Facebook is a better platform for physically connecting people in order to organize and share the information directly relating to those groups and meetings.

What I miss the most, however, is simply the caliber of content that used to be posted - and you could find it all in one place, right here on Dendroboard.