Not much excitement this month. The springtails are still flourishing, though their numbers seem to be at a more reasonable level now. Haven't seen my isopods of late; not sure if they're just a little deeper in the substrate or dying off, regardless I will probably supplement their numbers soon.
I've been having a bit of a "problem" with flies in the enclosure for the past 3 weeks or so. I put "problem" in quotes since they really haven't spread outside of the enclosure (I basically kill one by my computer monitors a day) and I haven't seen any outside of my office, so they're not much of a problem. I've got some simple fly traps and vinegar/dish soap ready to go if they start to get out of hand. (This system used to work amazingly well for controlling flies around my hatchling sulcata tortoise enclosure.)
I also had a bromeliad bloom, which was quite nice to look at. Sadly when I was putting together this update I realized that I never snagged a good picture. It was quite a brilliant purple, but now all that's left is the withered remains... (Picture included below.)
I'm definitely starting my search for some frogs now and I've settled on Ranitomeya variabilis
"Southern" as my ideal candidate. I'll be keeping an eye out for availability, but I'm not in a rush at all. I don't keep many animals, so I try to be picky when selecting the source.
I'll update again in a month or so (or if anything of note is changed).
Two Month Progress Update
Bromeliad Bloom (Past Its Prime)