Go Back   Dendroboard
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

View Single Post
Old 04-16-2019, 02:00 PM

Default Re: 12x12x18 - Help me visualize

I can add a heretical viewpoint on bromeliads for Ranitomeya. I will sometimes intentionally not have bromeliads in a Ranitomeya tank just so I can have some control over where eggs are laid. That way I can take the eggs out and let them hatch where I have a bit more control. This approach will deprive you of watching the male carry the tads to water and some other behaviors but can also maximize the number of offspring you raise. You can decide which of those things is most important to you and your feelings on the subject may change over time. On the other hand, I have no broms at all in my nominal fantastica parents' tank and they still lay eggs in some location I have never found. It's all good because they do carry the tads to water in the film canisters I have in there. However, they only typically will carry one tad per clutch, so I am essentially giving up half of the potential production. I don't mind that, though, since I don't need to be raising a million tadpoles :-) I assume that there is some positive selective pressure to give me the best tadpoles of the batch, but I have nothing to support this assumption. The tads that make it to the canisters almost always make it all the way to being healthy froglets.

Mark