Go Back   Dendroboard
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

View Single Post
Old 04-15-2019, 04:10 PM

Default Re: Thumbnail 0.2 or 2.0 question

Thanks for the information Mark! Could you help clarify the below for me though? I would think a pair would increase the chance that you wind up with the same sex instead of decrease it, which means the odds of having a problem would increase. A group gives you a chance of getting 1 male and 2 females or the opposite, you still have a better chance of getting opposite sexes if you get a group instead of a pair. Are you saying that groups have a greater chance of aggression because you are guaranteed to have two of the same sex?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Encyclia View Post
If you have a same-sex pair or either flavor, you don't have the opposite sex in there which can be the catalyst for some of aggression you have probably read about. So, as long as you stick with 2, your odds of having a problem are quite a bit lower (in my experience).
This is funny to me - everywhere I've read says you never ever see Vanzolini and that they're a super shy frog! I bet it's nice to see them all the time, those are beautiful frogs. I think I'm going to go with Varaderos as my first as I've read the Imitator group can be a bit more bold. I know it really just comes down to the individual frog so we'll see what happens. I would love to get leucs as my first frog but unfortunately I'm limited to a small tank right now, so that's why I'm going with Ranitomeya. Either way, I've done gecko setups before with some pretty shy species and I enjoy the hunt looking for them around the planted tank . If I don't see them so often, that's ok. Just as long as they're happy doing their thing in their mini rainforest.

Quote:
As a data point, I rarely see my True Nominal Fantastica or Reticulata, but I see my Vanzolini all the time.
One last question just because I'm curious - I never see anyone keep solitary frogs. Is it a no-no to keep a frog all by itself? I didn't think dart frogs were exactly social by nature, they just get together to breed.

Last edited by MKF; 04-15-2019 at 04:12 PM.