Dendroboard - View Single Post - Cal+, does it do it all?
Dendroboard

Go Back   Dendroboard
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

View Single Post
Old 04-15-2019, 02:30 PM

Default Re: Cal+, does it do it all?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Encyclia View Post
SM, I am curious about your comment about Vit A being more necessary for the offspring than the adults. My experience has been that I need to start monkeying with the balance of things when I am getting repeated instances of infertile clutches from the parents (not that this is always the problem - it's just where I start trying to solve it). I had never heard reference to needing to make up for a deficiency in the offspring. I suppose it makes sense that if the parents are barely scraping by on a given vitamin, that situation would pass on to the offspring, too.
My thoughts about Vitamin A were focused on infertility and SLS -- both of which, strictly speaking, affect only the offspring (either failing to form properly, in the latter case, or failing to come to be at all, in the former case).

Certainly infertility -- when hypovitaminosis A is a factor -- is a matter of the parents' diet (or some third factor that affects nutrient uptake, or the like). My untutored assumption is that SLS -- where hypo A is a factor -- is likely affected at least in part by the parents' diet in all frogs, and likely completely related to the parents' diet in the case of egg-feeders. I'd be very happy to be educated otherwise by the more experienced and knowledgable here.

I'm not sure that I personally would be likely to wait for signs of deficiency before supplementing. I exercise not after I have a heart attack, but rather to prevent one. It seems as if quite a few folks here routinely supplement A, so I ride that wagon.