Dendroboard - View Single Post - Thinning Silicone - Acetone?
Dendroboard

Go Back   Dendroboard
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

View Single Post
Old 04-14-2019, 10:12 PM

Default Re: Thinning Silicone - Acetone?

Final decision - I ended up going with Gorilla Glue. It's working really well. I did not spray any water on top of it so it wouldn't foam up nearly as much (I already have great stuff down and I don't want it to get any more "fluffy" since I already carved the GS how I wanted it). I'm applying it with a gloved hand and spreading it around with my fingers. I'm finding it MUCH easier to spread than silicone as it's not as thick. I found when I tried spreading silicone by hand that it would rather stick to my glove every time I wiped over it when trying to spread it, so it'd just end up being patchy and I'd have to fill in little tiny bare patches everywhere after each "large" session. With GG, after I apply it, I immediately throw down a very large handful of dry background mix (I buy mine from NE herp so it's not just a coco brick you have to dampen - it's already dry and has more than just coco fiber). I push it into the GG, let it sit about 30 minutes, then come back and push it all in again. If I can feel my glove sticking anywhere, I grab another handful, dump it on the spot, and push it in again. I use A LOT of background mix when coating this to make sure the GG is adequately covered, then when I tip the tank later, the extra flows to the bottom and I just brush it down with my hand to get off the excess so I can reveal the patches I need to touch up. I've yet to have any GG bubble up through the background mix so I've not really had an issue with having bald spots. This is working great and now my cure time will only be 24-36 hours instead of 1.5 weeks!! No stinky silicone either!! Only downside is cost, if you have a large tank the cost of using gorilla glue might outweigh the benefits. I am using this on a tiny 12x12x18 so I'm not too concerned. I've used 2-2.5 oz so far to cover probably a 11" x 4" space. By the end I'll probably spend about $20 on GG instead of ~$10 on silicone (assuming I could do the whole thing with one tube, which I'm not entirely certain I could).