Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

View Single Post
Old 04-08-2019, 11:15 PM

Default Re: Plants for a ball python

Quote:
Originally Posted by connorology View Post
Well, I intend to plant several of these plants in the backdrop and they will thus have limited snake exposure. The python will climb a little bit I am sure, but I have three feet of vertical space and can structure it in a way where some of the planters are mostly inaccessible. I am confident a pothos will hold up fine (my local zoo has pothos in with their ball pythons, and a number of similar sized small constrictors). I am pretty sure anything with a similar structure to a pothos would work if it can survive the climate (monstera, philodendron, etc).
Pothos is bulletproof and should be just fine in almost any environment you could subject it to. And if you are indeed able to keep the plants protected from exposure to the snake, your conditions are conducive to just about any house plant you would find at your local big box store, or nursery.

Quote:
I'm not really looking to recreate the aesthetic of the savannah.
Gotcha.

Quote:
Does anyone know what the pictured plant is? It is kept with a small constrictor at the Sacramento Zoo, and has a woody stem that I think would keep it fairly protected.
Can't help you with the species, but they are very commonly sold at grocery store, big box stores, and nurseries. Was never particularly interested since they are too large /invasive for your average dart frog vivarium. I have had a couple over the years given to me as gifts. They are very tough plants(take a wide range of light, water, temperature, etc.) as far a house plants go, though I don't know how they would hold up against a roaming ball python. Easy to take cuttings of as well.
connorology (04-10-2019)