Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

View Single Post
Old 04-08-2019, 04:30 AM

Default Re: Plants for a ball python

Quote:
Originally Posted by varanoid View Post
I think you might be able to get away with some pothos, but finding any plant a decent size snake wont destroy is going to be a challenge. Maybe look into some succulents.

My understanding is that ball pythons are from the savannah and not from the jungle, most of the plants you mentioned would be inappropriate. So you may want to look at some grasses too
Well, I intend to plant several of these plants in the backdrop and they will thus have limited snake exposure. The python will climb a little bit I am sure, but I have three feet of vertical space and can structure it in a way where some of the planters are mostly inaccessible. I am confident a pothos will hold up fine (my local zoo has pothos in with their ball pythons, and a number of similar sized small constrictors). I am pretty sure anything with a similar structure to a pothos would work if it can survive the climate (monstera, philodendron, etc).

As for jungle vs. savannah, I'm just looking for suggestions for durable(ish) plants that fit the specs of 75-80F ambient temp (and won't immediately die if they get a bit hotter) and around 60% humidity, which are the husbandry requirements of the python. I'm not really looking to recreate the aesthetic of the savannah.

Does anyone know what the pictured plant is? It is kept with a small constrictor at the Sacramento Zoo, and has a woody stem that I think would keep it fairly protected.

Connor