Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

View Single Post
Old 04-08-2019, 12:10 AM

Default Plants for a ball python

Good Afternoon All,

So I've recently built two extensively planted terrariums. One is for a pair of P. terribilis, and the other is for my panther chameleon. I was starting to feel guilty though, because my 23 year old ball python is still in the enclosure he has been in since 1997. It meets the popular husbandry standards for ball pythons, but I think he could benefit from a larger enclosure. I picked up a pretty nice plywood vivarium this weekend (3'x3'x2') as a $50 craigslist purchase, and I intend to waterproof it and install some LED panels on the ceiling.

I want to incorporate a good number of plants into the final setup, but I need to take into consideration that the python will be a lot stronger and more destructive than frogs or my chameleon. The enclosure will also be drier and warmer than a frog vivarium (ambient temp around 75-80 degrees, basking spot at about 100 degrees, humidity ~60%).

I'm looking for ideas for plants that might fit the bill. My basic plan is to embed several planters onto the background, and let plants cascade down or shingle up. Vines I currently own include Monstera adansonii, golden pothos, Pellionia repens, Ficus pumila, Begonia glabra, and Ficus radicans. I'm not sure how those would do in the conditions listed above, and I'd like to avoid F. pumila or pothos if possible because I am sick of them. Cebu blue pothos seems like it might be a good compromise but I'm having a hard time finding one locally.

I'm open to additional suggestions. Something hardy that can shingle or casade. Or plants that are free standing but could likely stand up to a python.

Thanks.

Connor