Dendroboard - View Single Post - 75G Tower Paludarium Build Log
Dendroboard

Go Back   Dendroboard
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

View Single Post
  #28 (permalink)  
Old 03-20-2019, 01:46 AM
andrewdingemans andrewdingemans is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Toronto, ON
Posts: 66
Thanks: 1
Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Default Re: 75G Tower Paludarium Build Log

Progress: Cabinet Complete!

Gotta say it's been a long 12 days with building this cabinet.

I spent a few days trying to figure out how to build the frame in a way where I could assemble and paint everything in place. Once I had a plan, made a trip to HD to buy about $450 in wood and supplies that would become the main frame and cabinet.

First battle was to get it into place. Tank I remembered was about 160lbs empty. With everything in it and the lid, my scale was showing 225lbs. My brother, his girlfriend and I wrangled this thing onto it's stand 34" up and got it resting where it will live.


Next I got all the panels test fitted to see if any trimming was needed. I needed to plan all my cutting and router work as I am in a condo and like to keep the dust out of here as much as possible, so it required me to lug all the parts to a stairwell or in the parking garage to get what I needed complete.


Also decided when building the frame that I wanted a 3" deep drawer below for storage of supplies etc.


Viewing panels framed in and routed out. Flush cut to the "frame" and then 1/8" roundover.



Alot of sanding and finessing and ensuring everything would fit along with the equipment etc and I was happy. I originally was going to hinge 2 front doors on the front, but due t the frame etc, the hinges I had wouldn't work without a decent amount of work. I decided to join the pieces I already had cut to make it look like a false double door, however I have it hinged on the top with some actuators.

I also then decided that I was going to make the inside of the cabinet black and the outside white. Other colors would clash with the rest of what we have going on here and I have a 5 gallon pail of semi-gloss white from when I did some other cabinetwork. The interior got 2 coats of black and the exterior got 4 coats of white. I decided early on that I still wanted the side panels to be removable just in case so some holes will be covered with stick on covers.

FINAL CABINET PHOTOS





Next up is working on getting all the equipment setup and plumbed in. Already have in my switch controller, fan controllers, humidity and temp controllers. Still on the hunt for a slim water reservoir for the mistking.
__________________
______
Andrew
Reply With Quote
 
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT. The time now is 02:48 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.